What is Waxy Maize?
HS Labs Waxy Maize is a premium carbohydrate supplement containing complex starches derived from waxy corn (primarily amylopectin). In contrast to monosaccharides, like dextrose, waxy maize is a sugar-free carbohydrate (polysaccharide) source that is slowly absorbed due to it's highly branched structure and high molecular weight.
As your body assimilates and breaks down waxy maize, your muscle tissue readily absorbs the available carbohydrates for glycogen resynthesis and energetic purposes. As such, waxy maize is a great carbohydrate supplement for active individuals and athletes alike, especially before and after working out.
HS Labs Waxy Maize comes in a decadent chocolate flavor with absolutely no unnecessary fillers or added sugars. Despite being a complex starchy carbohydrate source, waxy maize is easy to digest and pairs perfectly with high-quality whey protein supplements for maximizing recovery, replenishing muscle glycogen, and promoting skeletal muscle growth.
Even better, Waxy Maize mixes easily in a blender bottle for on-the-go convenience when you need it most. Try mixing it with HS Labs Whey Protein for the ideal post-workout recovery shake!
Each serving of HS Labs Waxy Maize contains:
- Over 170 calories to help fuel your muscles
- Over 40 grams of highly branched, complex starchy carbohydrates
- 0 grams of sugar
- Negligible fat content
- No aspartame or acesulfame-K
Benefits of Waxy Maize
Whether you’re an athlete, bodybuilder, or someone who just likes to keep active, then complex carbohydrates like amylopectin (from waxy maize) are a superb source of energy to keep you performing at top speed. This is why we created HS Labs Waxy Maize, making it easier and more convenient than ever to help fuel your muscles and replenish glycogen with high-quality starchy carbohydrates in a tasty and easily digestible powder form.
Many carbohydrate supplements on the market are merely a blend of dextrose and flavoring. Dextrose is the term used for glucose that comes from corn and it is not a starch like the carbohydrates in HS Labs Waxy Maize. Dextrose is a highly insulinogenic simple sugar that has very little nutritive value beyond its calorie content. Consuming moderate amounts of dextrose is fine, especially for highly active individuals, but for most people, waxy maize is a better source of sustained energy and the ideal carbohydrate source for replenishing muscle glycogen.
After you finish an intense workout, your muscles are usually depleted of glycogen and become more sensitive to the effects of insulin.2 In other words, your muscles are much like a sponge that is ready to eager to soak up carbohydrates and essential amino acids so they can begin the repair process and hypertrophy.
Hence, many avid gym-goers and athletes use waxy maize for bodybuilding purposes since it provides a smoother elevation in energy and replenishes muscles for hours on end without the rapid swings in blood glucose levels that high amounts of dextrose can result in.
It’s highly recommended to consume a quality protein source, such as HS Labs Whey Protein, in conjunction with HS Labs Waxy Maize for maximizing muscle recovery and growth. Many studies have demonstrated the synergy carbs and protein have for amplifying muscle protein synthesis to a greater degree than ingesting just protein or just carbohydrates (especially after resistance training).1
Primary Benefits of Waxy Maize:
- Ideal for active individuals in need of a convenient high-quality complex carbohydrate source
- Increases the anabolic response (and recovery time) after intense exercise, especially when paired with HS Labs Whey Protein
- Promotes sustained muscle glycogen resynthesis and energy levels
- Comes in a delicious chocolate flavor and mixes easily
- Easy source of calories and simple to digest
What Makes HS Labs Waxy Maize the Best Carbohydrate Powder Supplement on the Market?
HS Labs Waxy Maize is made in GMP-certified facility in the EU with high-quality waxy corn that contains a high proportion of amylopectin and absolutely no aspartame, acesulfame-K, added sugars, or unnecessary additives. Not to mention HS Labs Waxy Maize is delicious and the rich chocolate flavor adds to the already awesome flavor options of HS Labs Whey Protein!
1. Tang, J. E., Manolakos, J. J., Kujbida, G. W., Lysecki, P. J., Moore, D. R., & Phillips, S. M. (2007). Minimal whey protein with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise in trained young men. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 32(6), 1132-1138.
2. Børsheim, E., Aarsland, A., & Wolfe, R. R. (2004). Effect of an amino acid, protein, and carbohydrate mixture on net muscle protein balance after resistance exercise. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism, 14(3), 255-271.